The Management & Science University (MSU)
The Management & Science University (MSU) is one of Malaysia’s top universities and focuses mainly in the critical areas of studies that encompass medicine, health sciences, pharmacy, information sciences and engineering, business management and professional studies, education and social sciences, hospitality, and culinary and creative arts.
As Malaysia’s best teaching and learning university, MSU gives priority to quality education and the importance of creative teaching methodologies towards producing quality graduates. Besides incorporating international exposure in the students learning experience, extensive industrial training components and personal enrichment competency are also blended into the programme of study to ensure the graduates employability.
The importance of quality education goes without saying. It is quality that draws recognition and it is quality that dictates the graduates’ employability. MSU has received numerous recognitions from Malaysian and international independent bodies. It was rated twice as an “Excellent Status University” by the Ministry of Education Malaysia through a rating system on all universities in Malaysia. MSU is also accredited by the Accreditation Services for International Colleges (ASIC), United Kingdom and The Alliance on Business Education and Scholarship for Tomorrow (ABEST21), Japan.
All programmes offered are either approved or accredited by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) and other professional bodies such as the Malaysian Medical Council (MMC), the Nursing Board Malaysia (NBM), and the Malaysian Optometry Council (MOC). These programmes are offered through the following faculties, schools or centres:
- Faculty of Health and Life Sciences
- Faculty of Business Management and Professional Studies
- Faculty of Information Sciences and Engineering
- International Medical School
- School of Hospitality and Creative Arts
- School of Education and Social Sciences
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Graduate Studies
- Graduate School of Management
- Center for Foundation Studies
Academic Facilities & Resources
- A large number of classrooms and lecture halls
- An extensive collection of learning and reference materials are available
- A library that provides more than 80,000 titles of various disciplines and e-brary (electronic library)
- A large number of computers
- Wireless campus
- Islamic & Cultural Centre
- Performing Arts Theatre
- Open Theatre
- Anatomy Museum
- Medical Centre
- A complete campus amenities – U Café, U Print, U Shop, U Holiday, U Fitness, In Campus Bank
- The university and the city of Shah Alam offer a range of indoor and outdoor sporting facilities
Research Areas @ MSU
The research areas in at MSU are focused towards applied and commercialisation activities. Currently, a range of major areas are conducted through the faculties and MSU’s three Centres of Excellence and they are grouped into the following three main areas:
- Health & Medical Sciences
- Business Management & Social Sciences
- Information & Communication Technology
Student Support Services & Student Development Activities
The Students & Career Development (SCD) department complements the faculties and centres of learning of the university in the students’ personal and professional development. Its role is seen as an enhancer of student’s character building through the activities that it organises. Career based activities which are aimed at sharpening the students’ organisational skills and personal competencies are a common feature throughout any academic year. The SCD also serves as a hub for campus life as a variety of students based events are jointly organised between the department and the various clubs and associations under its purview. The department provides counselling and assistance on general welfare of students, housing and alumni networking.
Global Mobility Programme (GMP) and Global Leadership Programme (GLP)
The MSU Global Mobility and Global Leadership Programmes are initiatives of the university towards empowering students through international exposure activities. This exposure serves to complete the students’ development into competent and employable graduates.
The GMP provides international students intending to travel to Malaysia with an understanding of our unique and diverse cultural, historical and social compositions via interesting summer courses. Among others, the summer programme includes a number of social activities and field trips that have been carefully selected to allow students to integrate with the local community and experience the local culture first-hand. Likewise, local students may do the same by experiencing a semester of study at any of over 40 partner universities of MSU located in the ASEAN region, Korea, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, the UK, the USA and Eastern Europe. Further information on the GMP is available at the office of the International & Collegiate Department (ICD).
The GLP, on the other hand, is focused on the creation of leaders of tomorrow and developing a global mindset among students. It provides opportunities for students to enhance their learning experience and develop leadership and global skills. These skills are applied through their learning, volunteering and participation in activities conducted at the international or local level.
Outline of Scholarships/Financial Aid
As part of its community service effort, MSU allocates RM3 million each year as financial assistance to needy students. The funds are disbursed through various initiative and collaborative efforts between MSU and several of its public and private institutional partners. All scholarship and financial assistance are provided through the following:
MSU’s very own President’s Scholarship is one of such schemes that has over the years benefited many students. This is an award given to students who demonstrate outstanding academic achievement who come from an economically challenged background.
Yayasan MSU -Foundation for Building Excellence
“Yayasan MSU” or the MSU Foundation is a foundation for building excellence. The foundation is a manifestation of MSU President and Founder, Professor Tan Sri Dato’ Wira Dr Mohd Shukri’s passion in helping those in need towards achieving excellence and scholarly success. The foundation is an extension of the university’s commitment in education and lifelong learning as well as community engagement work staying true to its aspiration of a caring and giving institution. The Foundation is committed towards providing financial assistance and scholarships for research or academic pursuits to eligible recipients with the hope that this contribution will provide opportunities towards social and economic improvement to the beneficiaries.
Joint scholarship schemes such as Skor Berita Harian, The Sun-MAPCU Education Fund, The Star Education Fund, and Sin Chew Daily Education Fund are some examples of MSU’s involvement in ensuring the less fortunate get to continue with their further education at MSU. The scholarship is open to all Malaysians and the financial assistance awarded ranges from a full to a partial scholarship. Details of the scholarship and application forms are available at the Registrar’s office.
MSU also provides assistance to students of all levels to obtain loans from government bodies such as PTPTN (National Higher Education Fund), MARA (Majlis Amanah Rakyat) and other sponsoring bodies.
Orphans or orphanages fall under MSU’s community service project. A portion of the scholarship fund is also appropriated as financial aid towards this group.
Fellowship & SLAB Schemes
In its effort to train qualified academics to manage the university’s human capital need and to further enhance its research and innovation activities, MSU offers fellowship awards to local and foreign candidates for graduate studies leading to PhD at MSU. Further, MSU’s SLAB scheme, a fully funded internal programme aimed at developing academic staff in their pursuit of higher education, is another effort of the university in its staff development initiative.
Recognition & Achievements:
- Rated as an Excellent Status University awarded by the Ministry of Higher Education of Malaysia 2009 & 2011
- Best Home Grown Programme, Private University Category awarded by the Ministry of Higher Education of Malaysia
- 1st Non Japanese university to be accredited by Alliance on Business Education and Scholarship for Tomorrow (ABEST21), Japan.
- The 1st Offshore Medical School to receive five year accreditation from the Malaysian Medical Council
- Dr Tytus Chalubinski Medal for Leadership awarded by Medical University of Warsaw, Poland
- Programme recognition by the Public Service Department & Malaysia Qualification Agency
- Rated as one of the top private universities in the world by the Accreditation Services for International Colleges (ASIC), UK
- Rated as one of Malaysia’s top private universities by Ernst & Young
- An accredited member of the Alliance on Business Education and Scholarship for Tomorrow (ABEST21), Japan